Friday, May 23, 2008

2. The Naming Begins!

I know, I know...

We have been told not to name the chicks until after they have survived outside (or at least inside for a while longer than just the first few days!) so as not to get attached, but somehow, two of them have names...The all white one is "Toaster".

I believe this is because in my research about backyard chicken raising, I read quite a bit of endearing and amusing stories about relationships had beyond the usual egg-producing-machine affection that these fluff and feather balls provide.

In relaying one such story about a hen, I mixed up her name with toaster. It was some odd item thing that I couldn't remember and I said "it was something crazy, like toaster".

Somehow, our younger son still had this name in mind when he gazed at the fluffy white thing among our bunch... So, Toaster it is (better than the story hen's true name of Mailbox, no?)


Behind Toaster is the darkest black of our Black Star chicks. She is colored a little bit differently in that she does not have a 'star' on the top of her head and her underside is more white than cream. I keep wondering if we will have some mystery tufted rooster instead of a brown egg layer, but only time (and a 4:30am wake up call) will tell.

She is named "Penguin" thanks to a friend of the older son. Who knew? The name just sticks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nice pictures! toaster is the bomb. with the cool background, it looks groovy, man!

you inspired me to start a blog,
albeit without a cool plot

www.lifeaswebe.blogspot.com